Friday, September 20, 2013

Love it and list it: Vocabulary Edition


When I think of working on vocabulary goals, I always try to reflect on ways I learned new words as a child. Did I always enjoy sitting through a book? No. There were times when I just wanted to go outside and play with the kindling stack in the garage. 

I admit that I am a huge fan of books to target most language goals. There are not many sessions where I don't pull out a book to target a goal in some manner. They are my number one go-to with my two DIY crafts coming in tied for second place: Story Rope and EET circles. However, I also love to watch my younger students come out of their shells through play. It's an opportunity for me to really see the things that have stuck and things that might need some help. Also, I have several students that will simply shut down because they feel intimidated by adults. My solution to targeting a versatile range of vocabulary for K-1st graders is Dollar Tree figurines (and yard sale knick-knacks). It's just a much more laid back approach that they simply can't resist.  
Beginning of 2012-2013 school year with my one little container.
My collection has grown considerably with every dollar store trip...lol 
As far as my favorite purchased material, I would have to say that Super Duper's Vocabulary Chipper Chat is my favorite for my 2nd-4th graders. I splurged and bought several of their items while they were on sale. I like the Vocabulary Chipper Chat the best out of what I have now. The cards are organized by target and the magnetic chips are a great motivation for those competitive kids. I end up using the cards for multiple concepts and pull in my EET circles when needed. I think it puts a little more organization into days when nothing seems to go right.
 


4 comments:

  1. I didn't even know there was a vocabulary chipper chat! Thanks for the tip!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It seems like there's a chipper chat for almost everything now. I love them, but I only buy them on sale.

      Delete