Thursday, August 1, 2013

Have you heard about tax free weekend?

There's something magical about the first weekend in August. The hot temperatures (or never ending rainstorms) of summer can not dampen my enthusiasm for these three little days. Why? It's tax-free weekend!

North Carolina started tax-free weekend while I was in high school. The state waves sales tax on school supplies, clothing, computers, and instructional materials. It's a deal that most people take advantage of at least for the clothes if nothing else. I usually buy all of my school supplies during this weekend too. Page protectors and mechanical pencil packs can easily add up to some serious damage to my wallet....yet, I cannot seem to break my preference for these two items. This year is a little bittersweet. I don't know how many of you are from North Carolina or follow the nightmare of a state budget, but it's the last year that we'll have tax-free weekend. (There are other horrible things included in this budget that you may see on teacher blogs. I'm not going to go into that zone because it just breaks my heart.)

If you are curious to know if your state celebrates tax-free weekend, I found this nifty little list of all the states that currently have this "holiday." Happy shopping!

No comments:

Post a Comment