Friday, March 1, 2013

Lucky Leprechauns! March is finally here :)

March is my favorite month out of the year. I love spring weather and it usually starts up around here towards the end of March. I'm also a huge nerd when it comes to British and Irish history. I love learning about old English, all of the folktales, and dream of  eventually visiting the United Kingdom. 

The only thing that I don't like about March is finding books to use for therapy. In graduate school, I used Gail Gibbons book about St. Patrick's day at my school placement. Gibbons writes books that are very informative, but they don't always go over so well in therapy sessions. The St. Patrick's day book is one of the not so great ones. It works for 4-5th grade. The little ones just had the tendency to tune the story out. 


This year, I found one that is more to the level that all of my students can enjoy. It's called the Luckiest Leprechaun and is a great book about friendship. 


The friendship is an unlikely one, a grumpy Leprechaun and a happy-go-lucky dog, from the start. The plot follows how Lucky is able to prove herself to Mac by rescuing him (and, more importantly, his gold) from Professor Chester. You can use it to address social skills (Why does Lucky want to be friends with Mac when he's mean to her? Would you want a friend to treat you like that?), comprehension, and sequencing of events.

I've made a book companion of sorts to go along with this story. The majority of the packet can be used with anything. It's only the wh- section that is book specific. You can get your copy here.


Have a wonderful weekend! 



2 comments:

  1. Thanks for highlighting a collection of goodies...it's always great to get more ideas! (And a huge thanks for the shout out to my freebie...I'm glad you like it!) I'm looking forward to using your following directions cards....thanks for sharing! Now I have a new book to check out also :)

    ReplyDelete