Monday, January 12, 2015

My Dream Craft

We are getting a *slightly* early start on Martin Luther King, Jr. activities this week in my groups since there is a teacher workday next week. I am kicking my little mini-celebration off with a new craft activity that can be adapted for skill/grade level. 

To start off this lesson, I talk to my students about Martin Luther King, Jr. and his famous "I Have a Dream" speech with a little bit of help from BrainPopJr. The majority of my students really enjoy watching these small videos and the little quiz. The only time I have ever had one complain is when I left the lights on instead of turning them off like their teachers. 


 For the "My dream" craft, I asked them to think of something they would like to do that could help other people. I gave my younger students one medium-sized cloud to draw a picture of their dream. Then we used the larger "I dream that...." cloud to write about the picture. My older students got two clouds, like in my example above, so we could draw a cause and effect dream.


 I gave them the example of how I wanted to be a singer when I was younger. I always thought that if I became famous, I would buy thousands of copies of favorite books to share with other children. We then made predictions about what might happen if each other's dream were to come true. Once all of my groups get finished with their final touches, I will be sharing the pictures with other groups to practice making more predictions and even some inferencing.


My one tip for the craft is to have your female students add some extra hair to the picture of the sleeping child. I could only find an image of a little boy so we just used our colored pencils to solve that problem.

You can grab a copy of the "My Dream" craft here

2 comments:

  1. Wonderful activity; relevant and creative! Thank you so much!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're welcome! I hope your students will enjoy!

      Delete