Tuesday, July 8, 2014

DIY Emotion Cards

Hey everyone. It's been a busy holiday weekend for me. I hope all of you had a wonderful 4th of July as well. Today's post is a repost of a guest post that I did several months ago for the wonderful Putting Words in Your Mouth blog. If you haven't checked out this blog, I highly recommend going to it as fast as you can! Mia has some of the most inspiring ideas.

When I started out using my emotions journal activity, I quickly realized that I needed to add more components for my younger students. I decided to move them away from the clip art images to environmental images, such as actual pictures and movie clips. This inspired me to create a simple DIY project. You can use these to simply identify the emotion as well as to follow directions. 

Step One: Grab some magazines, newspapers, or catalogs with lots of people pictures. Cut out the ones that speak to you. I love using Super Duper catalogs for many of my crafting projects as their models show a variety of expressions.

Step Two: Make sure the pictures are cut to size. I like to leave just a slight edge around mine.
Step Three: Tape the pictures to strips of construction paper. I always cut out one long rectangle strip to use as my sizing guide to keep them fairly consistent. It's handy to keep a large stack of these blank strips ready for spur of the moment projects.
Step Four: Laminate.
It took me roughly 40 minutes to do this project. It may take a little bit less or more time depending on how picky you are with crafting. The total cost was $0.


P.S. You can make a similar project with stickers for following directions. 



No comments:

Post a Comment