Wednesday, December 5, 2012

What's for lunch?

One of the issues that I struggle with as an SLP (and a less active person in general) is trying to eat healthy. I usually have about 15 minutes to each lunch when all is said and done. This was an epic fail last year as I turned to leftover pizza and calorie laden snack foods.

At the beginning of this school year, I made it my mission to find a healthier alternative so I can re-lose the weight that I have gained from the past three years. (I lost 40lbs back in college so I know it can be done with hard effort and limiting my favorite stress eating foods.)

Here are a few of the things I have tried:

Not a lot of tuna but decent.
Probably my favorite choice
My 2nd favorite

The key to frozen foods for me is to find ones with lower amounts of sodium. My family has a long history of heart disease and I don't want to be another number on the list. Healthy Choice has some of the better selections in that requirement. However, I get sick of eating them all of the time so I try Smart Ones to add a little variety.

I recently started back walking to get more exercise. I'm not the running type and am too embarrassed to drag myself into a gym at this point. It is really hard to get the motivation to do any kind of exercise after work, which has definitely been an unexpected struggle. Ah, life!

Anyone have any suggestions or stories of how they have found a healthy balance?

1 comment:

  1. Hi Amy,

    I know its been awhile since you posted this so I am hoping that you have figured out a healthy meal plan. I wanted to share this anyway just in case you still needed some help. I am an SLP and I started doing meal planning last Summer. I needed to stay healthy like you due to familial history. I need low carb and low sugar. I ran bunches of research online and found some great recipes that tastes great and really are quick to make. I decided I don't mind doing baking or cooking good things to eat. The key also is to use less processed foods. I buy the Taylor Farms Vegetable Medley. There is a recipe on the back of the bag for roasted vegetables. It is really quick and simple. I grill Perdue Chicken or bake it. Perdue Chicken doesn't have any preservatives, hormones, etc. I don't always eat meat so I usually eat fresh fruits and vegetables. If you like yogurt and you have a Kroger's store near you, try their Carbmaster smoothies, yogurt, etc. I use the yogurt to make fresh fruit parfaits or cups. Strawberries and blueberries are some of the good berries to consume. I add protein powder and fiber to help me stay full and satisfied if needed. I recently got turned on to butternut squash and I love it. I roast it similar to the veggie medley. I buy the butternut squash noodles. You can find them in several grocery stores, but as I understand it, it is a seasonal item. I also do Oats over Night so breakfast is ready every morning. I alternate between the yogurt and the oatmeal. You can search online for the Oats over night. I use steel cut oats-not rolled/old fashioned oats. Steel cut oats are the most purest form and are not processed. I hope this helps.

    ReplyDelete