Monday, September 8, 2014

Sports, sports, sports

It's been almost a month since I've truly had the opportunity to plan out a new activity for my students. Sports seemed like a natural choice with the recent start of our local high school and middle schools football season. It's also a great way to encourage younger siblings to be proud of their brothers and sisters for choosing to live an active lifestyle. 


I'm really excited about this activity as it can easily be combined with books or short reading passages. I started off with basic vocabulary lists for football, basketball, baseball, soccer, and general sports terms. Next, you have some basic questions for each of the four sports. I have included blank cards so you can write more story-specific cards as you need. I know I will be making up more questions as soon as I get my library books.


I also created a few pages of sports idiom cards that I commonly use in my own life for older groups. Each idiom has a definition and an example. You can look up other sports related idioms and have your students make their own set of cards for their favorite ones.


For my younger students, I decided to make a mobile activity so they could share why they like a specific sport. All you will need is a hole punch and a few pieces of string for each student. I used soccer as my example since that is probably what most of my students will pick.

Grab your copy of Sports, of course! here.

3 comments:

  1. thank you for sharing! this packet is going to be great for my boys!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you so much for another great packet!

    ReplyDelete