Friday, September 5, 2014

Life lately and my little pony

It's been a rather hectic two weeks around here. We have been doing "tag-team" hearing screenings at all of the elementary schools, middle schools, and high school in my district. It's a great way to get the screenings done, but I have collapsed on the couch every afternoon. So I am a little late in sharing one of my newest thrift store finds....

My Little Pony


Why are these little horses such a great too for therapy? Well, let me count the ways....

1) The variety of colors and designs. This makes them the perfect item for picking out which one doesn't belong. I would start out by using color comparisons until your students start noticing the little side tattoos. (I guess those are tattoos?)

2) The different sizes. This makes them perfect for comparisons and following directions based on size.
3) The different types of ponies. Unicorns, regular ponies, and Pegasus all equal another great opportunity to target similarities and differences. (Point to the one that doesn't belong. Why doesn't that pony belong?)
4) They are durable. I was rough on mine as a child, but I never managed to break one. This makes them a therapy jack-pot material to me. (Unfortunately, all of my old ones were sold at a yard sale. I totally had a blue one like the picture below.)
5) Use them in free play to encourage spontaneous language.

6) Use them to teach positional concepts. You could make a little "barn" using a red box or a piece of cardboard as a fence.

6) They appeal to our female students!!! I know we are all used to serving many boys, but we have to have a few materials that girls will appreciate.



2 comments:

  1. I don't have any ponies, but do have about 200 Beanie Babies. Those work too! Thank you for the post!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for the comment! I can definitely see Beanie Babies working too and being a bit more gender neutral. The little ones McDonald's used to have would be awesome for size comparisons.

      Delete