Sunday, January 26, 2014

Social Skills Love It and Link It


It's time again for the Love it and List It! Linky. I know that many people have written posts about products that you can purchase so my post is a bit different. I wanted to give you some free things that I enjoy using with my students.

1) Youtube videos. They are an awesome way of presenting material in a way that doesn't seem like another lecture (and, yes, I do think that social skills lessons can come off as lectures just because we are adults and students feel like we can't possible understand). Check out the videos on my Social Skills (playlist). I will be adding more to it as I find things. I also use clips from Pixar movies to talk about emotions.

2) My two social skills diaries. My Feelings Journal and Conversation Junction. I like to use these files with my younger students as it gets them to practice their writing as well as brainstorming in discussions.
3) Jill Kuzma's SLP Social & Emotional Skill Sharing Site. I've talked about it before and will continue to praise this website as one of my favorites. Give yourself a couple of hours to explore all of the wonderful teaching ideas that she has posted. I promise that you won't be disappointed.

4) Books from your local library. I love using the Berenstain Bears books for social skill lessons. This series is a timeless classic. The possibilities are really endless with books. Jill Kuzma has a pinterest board dedicated just to books for social skills. I wish I could find all of them!

Hope some of these resources will help you!

1 comment: