Monday, December 24, 2012

Pronouns


I'm going to let you in on a two little secrets that I use to teach pronouns as a sort of Christmas present....

1) For she/he: I usually tell my students that "hers" and "his" are dead...not an option....not a choice. It is a little bit harsh, but I have found that my students will always use these two words if I don't place heavy emphasis on not using those words. 

2) I use the Pronoun Parade deck from Super Duper to drill my older students. We've turned it into a competition of sorts....whoever says the correct pronoun the fastest and in a complete sentence earns the card. They obviously want to earn the most cards so it's a great motivating tool. It usually takes about three minutes for us to go through all of the cards. 

I love this card deck as it's a versatile tool. I use it for describing images, who questions, and formulating sentences. 


Now, I have another idea for teaching pronouns that I will share with you in my next post. 

2 comments:

  1. I have found that any kind of race between my students motivates them a great deal. :) For pronouns, I have card decks from Super Duper as well as materials I've created just to switch it up for different themes and whatnot.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't usually try competitions between my students as they can get a little snappy with each other. It works for pronouns though. :)

      Delete