Monday, July 9, 2012

A penny for your thoughts?

The best things in life are usually free. Today, I wanted to dedicate a post to something that has been an invaluable resource to me for several years now.



Livejournal, for those of you who may be unfamiliar with the website, is similar to an online journal/blog. The main difference is the ability to join communities where you may interact with other people.

Speech and Language Pathology is one such community on livejournal for SLPs and those who hope to enter the profession. I have been a member of this group for roughly 4 years now. The posts range from seeking advice on graduate schools/entering the profession to clinical situations to job hunting. I get to interact with brand new CFs and experienced clinicians from all over the country (and a few from other countries) alike in between playing facebook games. There are also people who work in hospitals, schools, SNFs, etc. so it provides ample opportunity to learn about other settings. I find that this community is a good outlet for me as I don't get to interact with the other SLPs in my district on a frequent basis besides my CF supervisor. It gets lonely when you are the only person in your building that does what you do and are the youngest SLP in the district.

I would go on, but I think it's just something you have to check out for yourself.

No comments:

Post a Comment