Tuesday, June 16, 2015

Changes....


This is a hard week for me in so many ways even though it has been a long time coming. I've planned and prepared as best I can....and yet, now that this week is finally here I am struggling. It's moving week.


I said good-bye to my speech room in my little hometown for the last time on Friday. It was difficult to walk away from that bare-bones room after four years of calling it home. It was even harder to say good-bye to my coworkers and students. That school will always hold a dear place in my heart no matter how far away life takes me.

I am very fortunate to have a new job already. I will be in school with a hour commute each way. Although I dread the drive (my old 15 minute drive has me spoiled), I don't think there is any other setting I would rather be at this point in my career. Maybe someday I will work my way up to a university clinic, but for now I am happy being in a place where I can help children.



2 comments:

  1. Hey Amy,
    I am currently in my undergrad program studying comm disorders and I totally get your struggle. I also moved away from my hometown, and it was extremely hard but so rewarding so this post spoke to me in such a real way. Becoming a speech pathologist is just the most exciting thing to me, and you make me so excited to be in such an amazing field! You are such an inspiration and I know you'll do great wherever you are! Thanks so much for being such a great SLP to look up to!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Gabriela! I'm glad that my posts make you even more excited about this wonderful field. Every day is a challenge but the rewards definitely make being an SLP worth it for me. I wish you the best of luck in your undergraduate program!

      Delete