Monday, October 13, 2014

Pumpkins full of character

Halloween is one of my favorite holidays as a Speech-Language Pathologist. There are tons of amazing books, talking in creature voices, cute games, prize box treats, fun hats, etc.......I love it all! 



Now that I've had my little bit of fun with the video, it's time to get on to the real spooky attraction of the week: Character trait pumpkins. Social skills and demonstrating good character traits has become a huge focus at my school. On every morning announcement we review our character trait of the month and social skill of the week. They also discuss character traits in their reading and social studies lessons. Halloween seemed like the perfect time to review some of these same topics with my pull-out groups.


I gave each of my students a blank pumpkin. They picked out their favorite character from a book, cartoon, or movie to draw. It helps to have a computer or I-pad handy in case they want to have an image to reference.

Beast boy, an angry bird, and Leonardo. We have quite an eclectic collection to hang in the hallway. 
Once they had their pumpkin complete, it was time to start describing the character's traits on the clouds. It was a great way to show them that characters can have similar traits even though they appear to be very different on the surface.


We attached the clouds using string. Then, they had the opportunity to choose some Halloween decorations or add designs to their backgrounds.

My models.

7 comments: