Saturday, August 4, 2012

Target

So I have been procrastinating on my next Common Core goal bank. I have the grade level information in files, but I've been watching the Olympics rather than writing goals. The ones that I do have finished are on my Quick Reference page. I hope to get started sometime soon now that gymnastics is pretty much finished.

On to my topic for the day, I scored a great deal at Target in their dollar spot section. They currently have flashcards on a variety of topics. I snagged the following: insects, USA animals, world animals, USA presidents, USA states, and phonics. The flash cards are great for quick auditory comprehension or reading comprehension tasks. They have a variety of short facts that children will find interesting. Most are two-to-three lines in length which suits my needs just fine.They also have great pictures that hold visual interest and can be turned into a "name that ------" game for vocabulary. I'm planning on using the animal cards for a monthly unit and the presidents/states for election season. (If you are doing an election unit, you should check out the Dollar Tree for their cute ballot boxes.)

I also picked up a Dr. Seuss match game and 4 pocket charts. The pocket charts will be great for creating sentences using word tiles or phonics activities using my phonics tiles. If you don't want to buy these tiles (like me), you can make similar items by using different colored notecards & a marker. You can also use bottle caps, but those won't fit very well into the pocket charts. (These bottle caps can also be used for fun games such as this one, which I am currently in the process of making for my bag of tricks this year.)


No comments:

Post a Comment