Thursday, August 14, 2014

Just visualize


This school year holds many new changes. We have a new superintendent, a new principle, new teachers on staff, a new Speech-Language Pathologist joining our team, new students, and all the many paperwork changes that happen every year. I'll even be seeing some students at a local private school this year. It seems like all we did last year was say "good-bye" to many incredible people. Now, we will begin with a series of "hellos."  I would be lying if I didn't say that I'm a little nervous even as I head into my 4th year with the district.

So, I'm closing my eyes and visualizing what I want to see for this year.....My students being successful inside and outside of the classroom. The great and terrible /r/ finally being conquered. Open-ended questions leading to more enthusiasm towards reading. Laughter. Smiles. Parents advocating for their children and bragging about their accomplishments (no matter the size). Reading to Teddy Talker and practicing their sounds with him. Describing manipulatives with the Expanding Expression Tool. Category hopscotch. A bilingual word-wall. Learning prepositions with stuffed animals and pronouns with people puppets. Less stress, more crafts, and more smiles.


In my personal world, I am praying for some much needed strength. One of my relatives found out that they had a second form of cancer over the summer and is in pretty bad pain. The medication the doctors prescribe for the pain seems to make it worse instead of better. I'm really hoping for the best, but it is not easy. We are also still waiting to hear from the vet's about Serena's most recent bile study. (Please no more liver shunts!!!!)

Visualization.....It's a strategy that I often use with my older students. I like the way it puts things into a different perspective. Sometimes we are so close to a subject that we lose our ability to be objective judges.



[Keating stands on his desk]
Keating: Why do I stand up here? Anybody?
Dalton: To feel taller!
Keating: No! [Dings a bell with his foot] Thank you for playing Mr. Dalton. I stand upon my desk to remind myself that we must constantly look at things in a different way.
                              ---Dead Poet's Society


No comments:

Post a Comment