Friday, August 9, 2013

Venturing outside of my comfort zone....

I'm running a little bit late on the August Link Up party. It's a better late than never kind of week. 
Buying: I'm still up to my thrifty ways. I scored 22 books for 5.50 at a friends of the library sale while visiting with my grandmother. The majority of the books are from the 70s-80s. I like the images though and the amount of Halloween material. My favorite is a Halloween joke book. I'm going to have fun with that one even if my students end up not liking it. Salvation Army and Goodwill haven't had as much good stuff lately. I think their donations go down during the summer due to yard sales. My most recent finds are things for my "hope chest" rather than my speech room. (I'm a bit old fashioned but I love finding treasures for my future house.)

Trying: I am trying to organize my various stockpiles. My treasure box prizes are in half a dozen different places and it's driving me crazy. I guess it really bothers me because I can't get into my speech room to re-organize the closet. My library is screaming for an overhaul.
I'm also trying to prepare for IEP season 2013-2014. This is forcing me to venture outside of the comfort zone. The idea of writing goals based on the Math standards of the Common Core is something I have wanted to avoid like the plague. I hate, loathe, and ultimately despise math as most English majors do. It's also something that I don't really incorporate much into therapy beyond basic concepts. However, I am biting the bullet and creating a goal bank to better familiarize myself with the Core. It's definitely a work in progress.

Speeching: I'm part of a two-SLP task force. Our mission is to figure out how to make our part of RtI more streamlined & efficient. The inservice power-point is pretty much done with the exception of the actual speech. It's going to take some practice to figure out exactly what I want to say. We've also figured out most of the resources to include in our new RtI handbook. I'm looking forward to getting those binders created and online file composite set up.

So there you have it....Miss Thrifty is on crazy pre-school overdrive. I just hope to get a few things crossed off my ever growing list before school starts back.

New favorite song on the radio. :)

6 comments:

  1. I really need to venture out to a goodwill store! Or maybe not because I'm running out of space in my room!! Organization really is a never-ending process, isn't it? :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, it most definitely is. I need to stop buying books so I can still have some room lol.

      Delete
  2. You've been busy! We are getting a new Goodwill that should be opening in the next few weeks. I hope to find some things like you're able to!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's really just luck of the draw. I go to the thrift stores frequently so it ups my chances of finding things. I wish you the best of luck in finding some new treasures. :)

      Delete
  3. The Goodwill stores near me have been less than impressive this year. I have had GREAT luck at garage sales this summer though! Sounds like you're doing a lot of prep work for school before the year gets underway. Good luck!

    Abby
    Schoolhouse Talk!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Abby! I am trying hard to get as much done as possible before IEPs come knocking on my door.
      I wish yard sales around my area were good, but the prices are as high or higher than the thrift stores. I still haven't figured that one out yet.

      Delete