Tuesday, March 19, 2013

And she's off once more....

I will be away at Beckman Oral Motor Training from Wednesday to late Friday. I hope to write about the experience in an upcoming post as it is something I have been quite excited about these past few weeks. The silver lining I guess you could say in the rush of IEPs. Thankfully, March 15th is now over and I'm a year older to boot.

Secondly, I just want to give a shout out to all of my blog followers and facebook fans. In my wildest dreams, I though I would maybe have 5-10 people notice my blog. I didn't really know what I was doing when I started out. I just knew that I wanted to keep track of my professional development so that I could always remember these early feelings. The moments of uncertainty I felt going into my room that first day and seeing how that barren space transformed into a room my students enjoy. The moments of excitement I feel whenever I geek out over a new training and even the times when I am stressed over paperwork. Its the joys and the imperfections of reality that inspire me to grow. Thank you for taking the time to read pieces of this journey even if it is only for the thrifty ideas. Those concepts are deeply embedded in my experiences and search to become a better SLP. I hope to help each of you in some small way. Thank you for allowing me that opportunity.

Now, I want to leave you with a simple idea that I came up with to avoid hunting for stray Easter eggs in every little nook of your speech rooms.
 Meet the ribbon basket. 


I just cut long strips of butcher block paper from our workroom. I curled the paper using my scissors which took about 10 minutes to do. I wrote following direction tasks on pink paper, opposites on orange, and open-ended articulation tasks on bright blue. The basket keeps the Easter hunt contained but it doesn't spoil any of the fun. It's also a great way to work on turn-taking skills which we are reviewing.

One of my little friends was so proud of this find.


No comments:

Post a Comment