Monday, March 28, 2016

Conversational Skills Superheroes

If it hasn't become obvious by now, I am really loving Michelle Garcia Winner's Social Thinking materials this year. My students love it too! 

I've recently started adding in some conversational skills activities into several of my groups. I wanted to tie Superflex into this so the students have a constant reminder to use their social toolbox. Even though we have really taken our time with the basics, I think it is always helpful to have a reminder when you are branching out. As you can see, the activity we ended up doing took a little bit of time and creativity on my part.


I made four posters featuring Aiden, We have an expected and unexpected poster for both conversational roles. The unexpected listener is frowning because he's really not sure what is going on. The unexpected speaker is so busy talking about HIS interests that he forgets all about his listener. The expected speaker and listener are both happy to be participating in the conversation.


I wrote down different expected and unexpected behaviors for my students to put on the posters. The hardest part was getting them to pay attention to the key words (listener/speaker).


The sort took us about 15 minutes to go through.


Next time, I need to make more cards for the listener. I really felt like I had more made until we finished the sort.


My follow up activities are pretty simple. We'll review the post-it posters and design our own mini posters on construction paper. I chose the red and green to contrast the expected vs. unexpected roles of each person. I drew Aiden on the bottom of my posters and my students will draw their own version on the bottom of their posters.

Once they have made their posters, I will have my students come up with their own expected vs. unexpected behavior sort using the green and "red" (pink) post-its. We'll sort these out on the big posters again.

3 comments:

  1. What a great activity! I have wanted to purchase the Social Thinking materials, but haven't had the funds to do so. They look awesome, but they are so expensive (and shipping on them is crazy). Great post!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Shannon. I've been very blessed to borrow materials from my co-worker. They are definitely worth the money though. I'm slowly accumulating them through Amazon for my personal materials. If nothing else, I would highly recommend the Social Detectives book because I have used it with a ton of groups.

      Delete
  2. Wonderful activity! Warm greetings from Montreal, Canada. :)

    ReplyDelete